Friday, July 17, 2009

As good as it's gonna get!

Anyone who knows me knows that I'm not super creative when it comes to crafts. I prefer to buy cute things instead of come up with the ideas and make it myself. Or if every possible aspect has been thought up and provided, I don't mind putting it together.

My first attempt at making something for Tyler was, well, interesting. I wanted to make him a baby blanket. With help from my mom, one new sewing machine, four hours and a lot of unstitching later, his square blanket was finished. Sorry Tyler, but I struggle at things like this.

Well, I finally buckled down and made something for Tyler. Since he thinks every stick is a fishing pole, I thought, "I should make him one." So I found some cute sea creature pictures online, colored them, laminated them and put strong magnets on them. Steve went to the hardware store and made the fishing pole. Needless to say, Tyler LOVES it. After he used the magnet pole to catch the fish, he looked at Steve very enthusiastically and said, "Take a picture!" A true fisherman.


Enjoy it little man, this might be one of the only things I actually make for you!

11 comments:

Shannon said...

That is such a cool idea! I love it... can I request that you make one for me? ;)

My mom taught me the trick to easy blankets... just buy 2 pieces of cute flannel, sew them together, sew on a cute blanket binding, and voila. I'll definitely be doing these long before I ever attempt baby blankets with patched squares. I don't know if I have the patience!

Suzie said...

Way to go!! The sea creatures are so cute...you did an awesome job coloring, laminating, etc. Obviously a hit with Tyler (my kids would just eat it up if I would get my act together and do something like that!). And I guess Steve did O.K. on making the fishing pole. Leave it to him to use some ultra-special knot to attach the magnet...show-off.

Tory and Elizabeth said...

Super awesome, I think I might have to steal your idea for a nice little Birthday or Christmas present for my own little kids.

Amylee said...

Good for you! I made burp cloths for Annie, and, to be honest, they are a little frightening! At least your pole and fish are dang cute!!!

Trent and Whit said...

10 points for your creativity! Tyler looks so pleased :)

Heidi Miller said...

I am so that way to about crafty things. Alex is wayyyyy into sea animals and would lOVE this. I may have to copy your idea. Thanks!

Dangela said...

You don't give yourself enough credit. Those projects are fun. I bet Tyler has a ball with the fishing pole--it turned out adorable! Nice job!

Miss Kris said...

You forgot to mention that in addition to being creative, you also are very generous--you made one for your nephew Hayden as well!

He absolutely loves it, and you're the best aunt ever for giving a set to him. Love you!

Jared & Tristan said...

Very cute Erin! I bet Tyler plays with that every single day!

Merri Hackett said...

I'm impressed w/ your fish game making skills!

The Hodgmans David, Kara, Lexy, Lena and Luke said...

Cute! I feel your pain- I am not crafty at all! My girls have a fishing puzzle similar to this and they love it- store bought of course :)