A warning, this post is mostly to get the ideas and concerns out of my head. A few weeks ago, I received a phone call from a bishop of a BYU student ward who wanted to meet with Steve and me. We met with him, he asked a little about us and that was really all. Well this morning Steve was called as a counselor in the Bishopric. And, although it isn't my 'calling' to go to the student ward, it was highly encouraged that I attend with Steve each week. It is sort of confusing because I will still pay tithing, go visiting teaching and have my records in the family ward, but just attend the singles ward. In a way, at least at this point, it seems like I am just going to be in limbo...neither here nor there.
My thoughts are sort of scattered on the subject. I feel bad for Tyler, he will now be the only child in nursery (the toys being supplied by us.) I'm sad because he won't see his friends anymore. He loves nursery and singing with other kids.I'm really trying to see the positive in this, so I guess it will be good because he will now get individual 'tutoring' in the gospel. But looking at the glass as 'half empty' there isn't a mother's lounge or changing area for babies in the meeting house. Hmmmm. Having a new baby in this ward should be, well, interesting.
I am also very sad to be leaving my calling in the Young Women's. I just love their enthusiasm and desire to do what is right. I love when they would come up to me and tell me how they did on a test they were worried about. On the flip side, this ward is full of single sisters seeking to do what is right. Not a bad atmosphere to be submerged in! However, it does feel sort of isolating to be going from a family ward with other mothers I can relate to and chat with, to a ward of single young girls who think all kids are cute and don't understand the challenging aspect of motherhood yet.
The funny thing about all of this is that the actual duties and time of Steve's new calling don't worry me at all. He's gone all the time anyway with school and work, so I'm used to that. I have the faith that this is right. I don't doubt that even a little. I also know that things will work out, but I just wish I had a crystal ball to see how they do. The coming months of Steve's classes, him being an editor of a law journal, being in the bishopric, and us having a new baby will bring some stresses and obstacles. As is the case with all challenges and callings, I know the Lord will bless us on this new adventure.
So there you have it. If you stuck it out...points for you!
14 comments:
I have no advice. I just want to say I'm sorry!
Good luck Steve! You guys will have no problem juggling all of this! I can understand your concerns though. :)
Hi there! You are both awesome. They couldn't have chosen a better family for these YSAs to learn from. Good luck with the calling and baby on the way! :)
Wow...that's really crazy! I've heard from friends (young couples serving in bishoprics of singles wards) that it's actually a blast. Although I will be really sad not to see you guys in our ward. I guess that means we'll just have to hang out more often otherwise...
You will be so awesome at this!
I have two words for you my friend:
"RELIEF SOCIETY!!!"
Love and miss you
ann
All I can say is when it rains, it pours. But rain is such a great thing, the world is such a beautiful place because of it.
Hey Erin,
This is Kiersten's friend again. I just stopped by to see how your pregnancy is going and I read your news about the singles ward. James and I just got put on one in February and it was a little daunting at first. All of those things you mentioned were concerns of mine. However, I really think you are going to LOVE it! We sure do. Everyone is going to adore your family and will bend over backwards to help you out. I miss nursery also, but in the end, I wouldn't trade it for anything. Good luck!
Whoa...that is a lot to digest. All I can say is sorry and if anyone can do it you guys can. I feel for ya though, that is gonna be rough. I hear ya on missing YW I still get a little misty-eyed every Wednesday night.
Wow, that would definitely be a tough spot to be in... though I'm sure you're not mad about it, it's easier to find support in a family ward (esp for mothering!).
However, I just think back to all the awesome couples that served in singles wards I was in--they really were a great example. One even helped me a lot with getting ready to go through the temple. You will definitely be awesome for helping those girls... and I'm sure they'll want to play volleyball with you too! :)
I don't know anyone that ever attended our student ward besides the bishopric- the wives and family never came. My neighbor was also a bishop in a student ward, and his family continued to go to our family ward as well. I guess you need to just do what they told you to, but if it were me, I would honestly keep going to the family ward, and probably just attend the student ward maybe once a month, or just for sacrament meeting. But, I'M A REBEL.
We had a young couple in one of my singles ward bishoprics and we loved them. You'll love it.
So, are you going to the Depeche Mode concert?
Baby Girl Pulley!?!! TOot Toot! I have been behind on catching up on blogs. (Twins will do that to ya)! Congrats on that. As far as the bishopric thing goes,..Steve will be awesome! And so will you. Just think of all the young singles that will admire you two! If any couple could do it,..and do it with class,..it's you guys! :)P.S. Tell Steve he should have worn a colored shirt to church,..Brad says it avoids the big callings! ;)
Congrats, that sounds challenging yet exciting at the same time:) I think you will realize that you would rather have tyler see his Daddy at church then his friends in nursery:) You will just have a lot to take care of on Sunday's. Good luck:)
Post a Comment