Thursday, February 10, 2011

They blinded me with science!

It is no secret that I have been running a lot lately. But what is a secret to some is that I have been having horrible knee pain. I used to run 10 miles and feel great. Lately, I can barely go 3 or 4 before my knee gives out. I finally had it checked out today. It is better to have it treated now as opposed to permanent damage later.

After heat blankets, electrode shock therapy, an ultrasound, deep tissue massage, stretches, ice and tape, I officially have Chondromalacia Patella. "Runner's knee" is quite common, especially in young healthy athletic women. So the solution? Physical therapy and....no running for a while. I think I might die! At least we know what it is and can treat it. I am still relatively sure I will be able to do the half marathon in April. I will think positive. I think I can. I think I can!

7 comments:

Merri Hackett said...

good luck Erin! And a speedy recovery to you! which half are you doing? is it the thanksgiving point one? I think I might do the provo half on may 7th.

Shannon said...

Ugh, I completely understand. I can't tell you how many knee problems I've had from running and also gone through physical therapy. But you're right, be positive because I know PT helped me SO much. It actually made the tiny muscles around my knee stronger and I was able to do my 1/2 marathon also. You can totally do it!!

Tory and Elizabeth said...

Oh my, I am so sorry! I am so impressed with your optimistic attitude. Again you inspire me to restart working out.

Angie Lewis said...

Oh man, I'm so sorry! I hope it feels better and I sure hope you can do the half in April after working so hard!! Good luck! :)

Cassy said...

Sorry about that! You'll make it! Andrea is also running a half marathon in April at Thanksgiving Point...is that the same one you are running in? I hope your knee gets better!

Mike and Lisa said...

That is a bummer about your knee. I hope it gets feeling better. Maybe some nice relaxation in Hawaii will help! :) Good luck with your recovery and training for the marathon!

Dangela said...

I'm so sorry about your knee. Good luck with the recovery--I hope it is fast, so you can keep on running. I want to see pictures for your half marathon!