Monday, January 16, 2012

65 Years of Memories

Hard to believe, but my mom turned 65 this last week. My sister and I wanted to do something special for her. For her 60th, we took her to a special dinner just the three of us. This time, Kristin found the perfect idea. So here it is broken down into five phases.

Phase 1- Break into my mom's house (which wasn't hard since I still have a house key) and raid her addresses folder.

Phase 2 - Send a letter to all of my mom's family and friends. We asked them to send the stamped return addressed envelop to me filled with a memory of my mom, with the goal of filling 65 different envelopes.

Phase 3 - Anxiously await the mailman each day to see if more memories come in. Read each memory as they come in. I laughed out loud at some (like the one from my uncle when they were kids and he asked my mom to ride her bike over him....and she did!). I also cried. My mom is wonderful and selfless.

Phase 4 - Fill 66 envelopes with wonderful, funny, touching memories of my mom. Why 66 envelopes? Well, because we had too many good memories to limit it. So I guess we gave her one to grow on!

Phase 5- Wrap the gift and watch my mom be touched beyond measure at this gift. It was AWESOME! She told me she stayed up late to read all 66 envelopes.

Happy Birthday Mom! Thank you for everything, and here's to many more years of memories!

11 comments:

Jenn said...

That's so sweet! I love that! Your mom is a wonderful lady.

Nancy said...

That is awesome!!!

Merri Hackett said...

that is the best gift idea ever! so cute!

Mike and Lisa said...

That is such an awesome idea!! You gals should get Daughter of the Year awards!!!! I might have to steal this idea!!!
Hope you are doing good....miss playing volleyball with ya.

Jared & Tristan said...

That is awesome! And how fun to hear so many stories about your mom.

btw -your mom does not look 65!

Angie Lewis said...

That's an amazing idea! Your mom will cherish those letters forever! :)

Amylee said...

This is such a wonderful idea! It will be something that all of you treasure for a very long time. I know it took a lot of planning and hard work- good for you and Kristin to pull it off!

Happy Birthday, Mama Thurgood! I can't believe she is 65. Woah. Time flies.

Trent and Whit said...

That is such an awesome idea!!! And all that work totally paid off. Your mom looks so happy in those pictures! Happy Birthday Mama Thurgood!

Dangela said...

What an awesome idea! I love it!! Way to pull it off, Erin.

Jen and Chase said...

Wow. Such a cool idea!

Danae Curtis said...

That is such a good idea, what a great daughter you are! =)