Monday, July 8, 2013

Who's with me?

The subject of this post has been on my mind for weeks. I sort of hesitated to post it because it is quite telling of the person I am. But I am ultimately posting it because of the person I want to become. And by posting this, I am holding myself accountable. So here it goes!

I chatter, judge, and say things about other people that I probably wouldn't say if they were there. The more I think about it, the more I want to change this behavior. I want to be the kind of person that people know their name is safe with me. I am also doing this because I want to have more positive things in my life. Why say something negative about someone else? What good can possibly come from that? I often justify my behavior because what I'm saying is the truth. For instance, I saw a lady a few weeks ago with the worst case of "Utah hair" ever, and I just had to point out how bad it was to Steve. True or not, it should not come out of my mouth.

Therefore, I have decided to put myself to the test. I am not going to say anything negative about anyone, true or not, for one week. Seven days. That's 168 hours. Or 10,080 minutes. As I mentioned this to Steve, he said, "you know that includes yourself, right?" Curses! I am overly critical of myself, about my post baby body, habits, weaknesses, parenting fail moments...the list goes on. This might be harder than I thought. However, the week will force me to think about what comes out of my mouth.

By removing the negativity I create, I'm allowing room for positivity to flow in. In the recent months I have noticed just how negative the world is. I want to contribute to goodness. If I am not, who will? So, I ask, who's with me? Who is in for seven days of positive thinking and speaking? Who will join me in creating more goodness?

Starting Wednesday, July 17th until the 24th I am going to think before I speak. I'll post my thoughts and experience when the week is up. Who's with me?

9 comments:

Ben and Courtney Hugo said...

Excellent idea Erin! I am totally in!

Unknown said...

Erin,
You've always taken the high road. be in.
Rich and Cindy

Steve P. said...

I'm with you, too. We can hold each other accountable!

Merri Hackett said...

I want in on this. :)

sydney b. said...

I love this! I am so in!

Nancy said...

What a wonderful idea. I'm with you. I'm sure we all could do better in this category. Thanks for the encouragement.

Doug and Kathy said...

I love this quest! I read in Pual's writings just the other evening about mastering the tongue! I'm in! xox!

Doug and Kathy said...

Oops...it's found in James' writings, not Paul's.

Trent and Whit said...

What a great goal! I would love to do this challenge with you!