Monday, June 28, 2010

A trip of firsts!

This past week we were able to go to a family reunion for Steve's immediate and extended family. When they said it was in Newport Beach, California you didn't have to ask me twice! The drive went well both ways and the time there went by too fast. We didn't really do much. After two years of law school, Steve working in Salt Lake every day and bishopric stuff, we were thrilled to not have a schedule or any commitments. We were all content to shop (okay, Steve wasn't too content with this), walk around Balboa island with a Balboa bar in hand, and relax with family. Despite us taking it easy for the week, there were several "firsts" on our vacation.

Hannah turned eight months old while we were there. She celebrated by being able to go from her tummy to a seated position all by herself. She is starting to realize she can use her voice to get what she wants. She is as sweet as ever, but definitely louder! I think Hannah's favorite part of the trip was getting stuck under our bed.

We also took Tyler to his first movie at the theater, Toy Story 3. Great, great show. A little intense for Tyler, who at one point climbed on my lap and told me he was scared. Hannah actually did better at the movie than Tyler! Don't mind crazy Aunt Suzie in the background!

Steve and I went to the Newport Beach Temple for the first time. It was so beautiful inside and out. There was the most exquisite tile work on the entry floor. Just beautiful!

Next was Hannah's first time at the beach and Tyler's first time body boarding. Hannah HATED the beach. She honestly cried for 30 minutes straight. Poor girl. Tyler was brave and with Steve's help successfully rode a wave back to the shore. Once was enough for Tyler and he was happy just to play in the sand the rest of the time.

Another first for our family was renting a small boat and going around the islands. It was relaxing and fun to see the amazingly beautiful beach houses. There was a sea lion just about ten feet from our boat in the water. This was Tyler's first time seeing one up close. The sea lion is just next to Tyler's head on the back of the boat. It was awesome!

Thank you Grandpa and Grandma Pulley for a wonderful family reunion!

14 comments:

Jared & Tristan said...

sounds like lots of fun! I love Hannah's little tongue in those last pictures. And why is that sea lion on that boat! If that were my boat I think I'd be freaking out a little :) You look great. Glad you could all have some fun and relaxing days together.

elise said...

Fun! I love Newport/Balboa. So pretty.

Trent and Whit said...

sounds like you guys had a wonderful time! I can't believe how big Hannah is getting (and how brave Tyler is. . .body boarding and all!)

Mike and Lisa said...

looks way fun and relaxing. Glad you guys had a good time.

Suzie said...

I have LOTS of pics to send to you...I'll probably just put them on disc when we get home. It was SO fun to room with you guys. We need to go back and re-live it soon!

Tory and Elizabeth said...

How awesome! Honestly when your hubby is a full time student and you add in all those other things, vacations are soooo necessary for everyone's sanity (at least it was in our case.) Love all the fun pictures!

Angie Lewis said...

So fun! I'm jealous of your trip. Glad you had a great time! :)

Danae Curtis said...

Adorable pictures of your kids! I'm so glad you had a fun time! I sure miss the beach and California weather! We can't wait to see you guys soon!

Shannon said...

Hannah is getting so big! I love how she sticks her tongue out when she smiles. Looks like a really fun trip! So nice that you got to see Steve so much and relax.

Amylee said...

Holy cuteness!!!!! Also, I would have been freaking out about the sea lion. FREAKING OUT.

Greg and Abbey said...

CUTE! CUTE! CUTE!

Kirk and Janelle Tingey said...

Now that sounds like a family reunion!! And I thought you were being sarcastic when you said Hannah's favorite part was getting stuck under your bed, but it looks like she really was having a blast under there. She is too cute!

kalie said...

How fun! I certainly hope that you ate BJ's pizza while you were there and finished it off with a pizookie. Your kids are adorable, Erin!

Dangela said...

I love body boarding--it is so much fun to ride the waves in and see how far you can get. What a wonderful trip--I'm glad you guys were able to get away from everything and just have fun!