Monday, August 9, 2010

In the end

Just over a year ago, Steve was called to serve in a BYU singles student ward Bishopric. At the time I sort of thought is was the end of the world and I cried a lot. I couldn't see how Steve being in law school, being an editor of a law journal, a father, working, in a bishopric and me having a new baby would all come together. Many of you will remember THIS post. Well, just yesterday Steve was released. Let me just say it was a very emotional day for us. I cried a lot too, just because I was so sad to leave them. I guess things have really changed in a year.

So many wonderful blessings were poured out upon us during the past year, that I don't know where to begin. I can't put my finger on specific blessings, but I could feel them in every aspect of my life. Steve's service seemed a small sacrifice compared to the abundance of blessings we know we received. Those students are amazing. Their love for the gospel, each other and our family was often overwhelming. They love to serve and still have a blast doing it. My testimony was strengthened just from being with them. We also got to attend some seriously awesome activities too. Here are just a few of the things I'm going to miss:
  • A 75 foot long slip-n-slide down a huge hill
  • Grass volleyball tournaments
  • Our door being "attacked" with kind notes

  • Being judges for their dessert Iron Chef challenge (the secret ingredient was Peanut Butter Captain Crunch cereal!)
  • Attending wedding receptions of students who met in the ward
  • The endless supply of babysitters
  • Our children being treated like rock stars
  • Staying after Relief Society to answer the girl's questions about what it is like to be a mom
  • Asking Steve who he could see flirting with each other from the stand
  • Teaching Temple Prep to such eager good people
But most of all, I'll just miss my association with such wonderful, faithful people. All of it was a privilege. I feel blessed beyond measure that I was able to be in a small chapter of their lives. In the end, I will always look back on this past year with thankfulness. I guess I'm also thankful that I will now have Steve's help getting the kids ready for church and during Sacrament meeting. That part will be nice!

5 comments:

Ben and Courtney Hugo said...

Erin,
I am going to miss you so much! Thanks for being my friend there! I agree with you though, the students in that ward truly are amazing people. We are so lucky to get to serve around such a wonderful group!

Merri Hackett said...

Callings are funny sometimes aren't they? You are sad when you get them, and then sad to see them go. The door w/ all the notes is awesome. What a good ward!

Tory and Elizabeth said...

Isn't it interesting that things that seem like they will be stressful beyond all reason actually turn into our greatest blessings. But I am very happy that you get Steve back Sunday mornings for getting ready for Church time and also managing those two cuties durning Sacrement Meeting.

Shannon said...

After reading this it actually sounds like a really fun time! I'm sure they loved having you guys. Steve is awesome and I'm sure he did great in the bishopric. But so excited you get to sit by him now ;)

Dangela said...

One of my favorite callings started out as one I dreaded every single Sunday for months, maybe more than a year. I don't even know when I began enjoying it, but when I was finally released, I was sad also. It's true that we are truly blessed when we do all in our power to serve, and our service does become a big blessing in our lives.

Have fun seeing a little more of your husband!