My mother-in-law always says, "Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans." That is the truth. Doesn't it always seem like just when you think you have things all figured out, there is a factor you can't control that changes things? I really don't mind change, I just wish I could foresee or somehow control it. I know I ask too much! In every life there are high points and low points. But it is how you handle those that determine what kind of person you are. Right now, here are some of the low points: (I will end on the high notes so as to stay positive!)
1. Tyler having the BIGGEST tantrum of his life at Ikea today. People stared. People whispered. I somehow was able to disconnect myself from the situation and ignore his yelling and crying and kicking. Not my favorite.
2. Going for a 10 mile run today. How is this bad? I will tell you. After about 6 miles, my knee began to hurt...BAD. Thank goodness Steve was with me. He honestly had to help me support my weight because of the pain. So after a whole lot of thought, I have decided to postpone my half marathon scheduled on April 16th until the Fall. I honestly feel deflated. Even though I just started running again after a month of rest and physical therapy, the pain is there. My knee needs more time to heal. Tears!
3. I can honestly say that I usually don't mind cleaning. I know I am weird. But crushed cheerios, yogurt spills, toothpaste smears, and dirt are driving me crazy right now. Can't things just stay clean? I know I am not alone in this vain wish. I guess I need to remember that it was Hannah's tiny feet that smashed the cheerios, or Tyler's handsome smile that resulted in toothpaste on every surface in the bathroom.
4. Moving in just eight weeks. This will be our 7th move in seven years. I am tired.
5. Realizing we will soon have to start paying off student loans. It has honestly been on the back burner for the past three years. But now it is surfacing to haunt me (especially because our car has been making weird sounds.)
Now for the stuff life is made of, the high notes:
1. Steve graduates in less than a month! To say we are excited would be an understatement. He has worked so hard. I couldn't be more proud. And even more, we have a great job lined up, which for this economy, is a real blessing.
2. Tyler reading more words and seeing him feel so proud of himself. Tyler giving me random hugs and telling me he loves me. Tyler having the most incredible imagination and I get to watch it!
3. Hannah's smiles lately. Have I said before that she is the thing that keeps me sane? Well, she does.

4. Having a seriously awesome and supportive family. Knowing that Steve is about to enter finals again (for the last time!) and after that begin full-time studying for the BAR, I would be lost without the help of family. Thank you!
So there you have it. This is what is happening in our life right now. While there is so much happening that could drive me crazy, I want to live each day grateful that I have it. I don't want to miss anything, because I know in 30 years, I will miss those tiny feet smashing cheerios!
11 comments:
I love this post. Life is so full of so many frustrations, but it truly is the simple everyday miracles that bring the greatest joy.
I am so excited for you guys to be so close to graduation! To begin the next chapter of life with so many new adventures will be amazing!
Congratulations to all of you on finishing school and the job. I remember how wonderful it was when Dan finally finished school. Where is your job?
You are so right about life being what happens while we make other plans. I have been reflecting lately on how my life has not turned out at all how I had imagined it would. Aside from graduating with honors from the radiology program 12 years ago, I have watched all my plans and dreams for my life go down the drain. I was to the point that I had lost all hope and excitement for life and didn't quite know why until I began thinking about the dreams I used to have and realized that over the last 12 years I had said goodbye to all but the one. It may sound depressing, but it was actually uplifting to realize that there was a reason for my sadness and that I now have the opportunity to begin with a new, fresh slate and see where Heavenly Father is going to take me.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts, Erin. And again, a big congratulations!
AWESOME post. Not awesome that your knee is in such bad shape and you have to skip the marathon. I'm sorry. I think you need some retail therapy.
Moving sucks. I know all too well and hope I never have to do it again (we did 7 moves in just over 3 years and our 8th move was at 7 years - BARF!). Then end.
Hannah looks so CUTE in that dress. I love it!
P.S. Cheesecake therapy is also very effective.
Where are you guys moving? We are sure going to miss you guys! It's kinda sad to be done with law school and have everyone going their separate ways, but very exciting to finally be starting LIFE! =) As for your knee, I just have to say that you are AWESOME for running all the time, and don't worry, February will come before you know it! =)
I love that quote from Kathy, and it is SO true. Sounds like you are pretty grounded in spite of it all. Good luck with your knee - and the move!
Erin, sorry you don't get to run your race this spring, but good for you to look at the positive side of things!!! You have always been a wonderfully positive person-- I love that about you! If you need help with the move let us know. We'd be more than happy to help (because we know moving SUCKS!!!) Love you friend!
Ain't that the truth.
I'm usually full of stuff to say, but for some reason my words are escaping me. I love you, and I LOVE that inspite of wanting to whine, you still manage to stay positive. You are the greatest and I know you will be able to accomplish all of your goals- just maybe not on your time table.
I love you!
I am so so sorry about your knee. I completely understand. It is miserable and frustrating when things out of your control prevent you from your goals. And moving so much? Dreadful!! I hope this next one will be your last for a long time.
Also, Emerson just started throwing tantrums too. They are especially fun in public huh?!
Very good post Erin! It's good to know everyone goes through the ups and the downs. It's nice to really notice the good things too!
You are amazing not to let the negatives get you down! We've all been there (and maybe are even there right now), but it will get better. Think of all the fun celebrating we have right around the corner!! I honestly cannot wait to be up there with you!
Post a Comment