I think most of us assume that most people are good people. Most people are honest, considerate, civil human beings. That statement is true. However, you'll notice the word choice of 'most', that leaves room for people who aren't honest, considerate or civil. My interaction with people who fall into the latter category has been few and far between...until the last month.
Within the last month and a half, there have been two "acquaintances" who I have had to interact with who have tested my good opinion of people. I have been belittled, yelled at, ignored, and treated with such incivility that it leaves me speechless....except for a few expletives (sorry mom!) I am not here to bash or give details. What I want to talk about is the Golden Rule.
Just to refresh our memory, the Golden Rule is the ethical code that states: "You should treat others as you would like to be treated." This isn't that complex of a statement. It is quite simple. After having been treated in the direct opposite of this ethical code I have come to a conclusion. Are you ready for it?
My moral character is worth more than choosing to be unkind. I cannot control how other people treat me. Ultimately, I am only responsible for my own actions. While it hurts to be treated so poorly, I realize that I NEVER want to make anyone feel the way I have been made to feel the past month or so. Not even close. I want to be someone who treats others with kindness, even if they don't "deserve" it.
I am going to be held accountable for my actions, and I know that I will never regret treating someone fairly. In fact, I should treat them better than I would want to be treated. For when I stand before my Father in Heaven, I do not want to be treated fairly. I am going to want mercy. I am an imperfect person who needs mercy. All of us need mercy and compassion.
I am going to try to live by what I am calling the "Platinum Rule" which is treating others better than they deserve. For that is how the Supreme Exemplar lived. The Platinum Rule, pass it on!
9 comments:
Amen! What a fabulous code to live by. You are inspiring! xoxo
I'm so passing this on! (And I want to punch whoever treated you horribly. Except then I would be throwing the Plantinum Rule all to h. I will follow the Plat Rule AFTER I punch these people . . .
That's terrible that some people have been so rude. The way you're choosing to react to it is wonderful. The Platinum Rule what a great ethical code that will push us to be our best!
Good job Erin! It is hard to be nice to those people, but I love the Platinum Rule. Sorry for mean people! They stink.
And that's why I love you!!!! What a fabulous rule! This made me smile, and made me laugh, and made me want to kick someone in the shins.... Glad you are a better person than I am.
Amen.
The Platinum Rule--I love it! Hope you and your darling family are doing well!
The Platinum Rule, I think I am totally going to link this to my blog! You have always been the greatest example for me. Thanks for always reminding me (especially when I need it most) of the things that are of upmost importance!
p.s. and on the lines of using a few expletives, in the last few months I have been known to use some myself.:)
You are an amazing person, Erin. It's definitely a challenge to be civil to those who treat us poorly--I run into that a lot in surgery. Those surgeons can be bear cats!! Sometimes I really have to bite my tongue and remind myself that just because they aren't being professionals, I need to be. I need to be a better example. Thanks for your wonderful message!
Post a Comment