Monday, November 21, 2011

Gratitude

My three best friends and I are in an exclusive club. We call it the Finer Things Club. I'm not going to lie, I look forward to our monthly meetings more than just about anything else. We talk books, mommy talk, wife talk, food talk, and just about every other kind of talk there is. These three ladies inspire me, help me, laugh with me, and enrich my life. Thank you Kalie, Amylee, and Whitney. I am grateful for you three!

We decided to do what we are calling the Finer Life Challenge. Every month for a year we choose a topic and make goals for the month. This month, of course we are doing Gratitude. I decided to write down three things that I am thankful for each day...and why. The why part is to really help me connect to what I write down. I'm sort of surprised to say that I have had a hard time with it. I know I have a lot to be grateful for, but I can't write something down unless I had an experience with it that day. So while it would be easy to say, "I'm thankful for nature because...," unless I had an experience that day with nature, I can't write it down.

While the month is not over, I am recognizing a few common themes in the things I write down.

1. Family: Almost every day one of my three things is something family related. Family is what life is all about. They mean more to me than anything.

2. Kindness: I am noticing the kind things people do for me (especially family, and surprisingly strangers) and I realized I need to show more kindness to others so they can feel how I do.

3. The little things: It is the funny thing Hannah says, or the random hug that Tyler gives me. Or it could be as simple as my husband making the bed. I need to appreciate more the little things. Because more often than not, it will be those little things, not the big, that make all the difference.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone. Be safe and remember that your life is blessed!

4 comments:

Tory and Elizabeth said...

Fabulous! Those are the most important three things in the world. Thanks for the example.

Amylee said...

It is all about the little things. I love this Challenge! I've had a hard time with mine too- which is good because it means we must be growing, right?

The other day I had the thought that our little club isn't going to last forever. I nearly cried.

I love you, dear friend. And I do believe that in Heaven, we will still be having The Finer Thing's Club.

kalie said...

I love this post! My gratitude goal has really opened my eyes to so much.

WHATEVER. The FTC is indestructible. Why do you think Oprah invented Skype?

Merri Hackett said...

I think I need to start and "exclusive" club. :)