Highlights:
Food
All of my health conscious ideas and calorie counting goes out the window when I am in Newport. We ate Balboa Bars, Ruby's diner, Bristol Farms bakery, gelato, Sprinkles cupcakes, more Balboa bars and the list goes on. And it was worth each and every bite!

Time with Steve
It is good for me to get out of mommy mode and get back to being myself and being a wife. This was our first kid-free vacation since Tyler was born. Steve and I were able to go on walks along Balboa island every night. We went to Crystal Cove and went tide pooling. Drove a couple of hours, without kids interrupting our conversation, to Six Flags Magic Mountain. Time with my husband is usually minimal, so it really was great for us to have a few days to remember why we fell in love with each other in the first place!
At Magic Mountain, they have some pretty intense rides. Their X2 roller coaster is the most intense and insane thing I have ever experienced. No joke, I had to have Steve help me out of the chair my knees were shaking so bad. I truthfully almost wanted to cry...not because I was scared, but because I didn't know how else to digest the experience of the ride. And Steve's reaction? I have never seen him laugh that hard in our nine years together. He had tears streaming down his cheeks. He had the time of his life.

Shopping
Pretty much every store is better in California. You might think I spent a lot of money on cute clothes for myself. You'd be wrong. All I could think of was cute things for my kids. I couldn't help but miss Tyler and Hannah when I see things like this. Both of these came home with us!

And now for the low points:
Vertigo
I had my first ever case of vertigo...the day we were leaving. It was awful. I got motion sick at Six Flags the day before but this was worse. It took two Dramamine and four extra strength Tylenol to touch the dizziness and headache. Not my favorite.
Leaving
Just like any vacation, it was hard to leave the sun and beach to come home to laundry and rain clouds. But I will gladly come home to my kids and housework if it meant I had a wonderful long weekend with my best friend!
A very big thank you to Steve's parents for providing a place to stay and for the great company!
8 comments:
Sounds like an awesome get-a-way!!! It is good to have you and Steve time!! Glad it was so much fun!
a kid-free vacation sounds wonderful! I think it would be good for me to get out of mommy mode for a while.
I made monkey cupcakes similar to that for Guy's birthday last year, very cute.
So glad you had such a great time (minus the case of vertigo)!
Erin, your trip sounds so fun. My family also visits Newport Beach whenever we're in Cali, and I love it. I'm only slightly sad you didn't mention BJ's pizza, but I forgive you because you posted a picture of you stuffing your face. :)
Sorry you had vertigo!
And did I mention I love your new 'do?
Im sooooo jealous!!!!! It looks like you had fun! Your kiddos are so cute. Hopefully we can see you the next time we come to Utah (but who knows when that will be).
I'm so jealous. Joseph and I need a getaway pretty badly. How fun! All that food made my mouth water!
Isn't the beach the best? I'm dying to know what a Balboa Bar is now, too.
Sounds like you guys had a blast! You two look like newlyweds in those pics. . .happy and glowing! Just as it should be!
Glad you got to go on such a wonderful trip together. Sometimes you really need that. Sounds like you had tons of fun!
Post a Comment