Saturday, February 23, 2013

Little things

More often than not, it is the little things in life that make it all worthwhile. That is true because the "big" things only come around every once in a while. Don't get me wrong, I love the big things too, but it is the small, simple, sweet things that keep a person (to be read: a mom) going. And, apparently I'm into lists my last few posts!

1. Helping Hands

I think there must be some law out there in the universe that a pregnant lady has to drop at least six things a day simply because it is hard to pick them up. Thankfully I have two small pairs of hands that will come when I call to help pick things up for me. Tyler also gathers all the garbage cans in the house each week and is sad when it isn't what he calls "chore day."  Hannah knows right where the dusters are and insists on helping. I am grateful for those helping hands even if they are the same hands that make the messes!

2. Castle

If you aren't watching this show, you should. Even though there is a murder at the beginning of each episode, it is not about the murder. Whether it is the witty banter between Castle and Beckett, or the dynamic between Ryan and Esposito, I am always smiling during the show. My Mondays are made because of this show.

3. An uninterrupted shower

I think any mom knows what I mean.

4. The feeling of being prepared

I'm a planner. For better or worse I am always thinking ahead and preparing for eventual situations. When packing for a trip I "foresee" what could happen, and what I "might" need. You get the idea. I'm a nerd! It has been a snowy winter here, and one of my favorite feelings is going to the store to "stock" up on things so that I won't have to go out for three or four days during the cold and snow. Even as I type this, the snow is falling and I love that I've got everything I need for meals for the next several days.

5. My Mom

Now she is one of the "big" things in my life, but it is all the little things she does for me that save my sanity.

6. Fruit Snacks

To whoever invented fruit snacks...thank you. When my kids are in quiet time, all it takes is me bringing them a pack of fruit snacks, and they'll stay in their rooms a little while longer. Or if I am driving in the car and the kids are getting crazy, pass them some fruit snacks and POOF, it is silent. I know it might not be the healthiest snack in the world, but they make my life easier.

7. Hiccups

Not my own, but baby sisters. She gets them daily, and it is a sweet reminder that she's there and healthy.

What little things keep you going each day?

8 comments:

Suzie said...

Great post...I just might have to do a list/post of things that keep me sane. I'd add to the list kids' t.v. shows (Bubble Guppies, Dora, Team Umizoomi, Super Why, etc.), lunches out, and good friends.

Christina said...

Quiet time, Veggie Tales and finding sweet treats in the house! Also, I tried voting on your name poll, but it didn't register for some reason! I voted Leah (one of my favorite Primary kids in Illinois was Leah), though I also like Nora (I have two friends who recently named their babies Nora and I think it's darling) and Sara (so classic), but I think Kate is a little overdone right now.

Ben and Courtney Hugo said...

Oh Erin I love Castle too! I just barely got Ben watching it too and he's totally hooked! And I voted for Kate, which I just love, and not because of Castle :) We talked about Kate before we knew Hudson was a boy! Can't wait to see her!

kalie said...

Hot showers! And also chocolate. Love this post and you. Hope you are hanging in there single momma this week.

Anne said...

Lovely post! It is always good to focus on the blessings in our lives, especially the little ones we sometimes take for granted. Enjoy those helping hands while they are eager and willing!! I hear grumbling every week from whoever "gets" to collect the garbage. But, I am grateful for help with LOTS of the chores, independent children, unexpected hugs, a daughter who drives, walks with a friend to talk to, and chocolate.

Anne said...

P.S. I love the name Leah, and you don't hear it much. It is so pretty and somewhat unique. (And I voted for Kate, too.)

Sister Christine McCracken said...

Ditto with Little Helping Hands. I will say that I love waking up to the new view of forest and mountains where we live now, it reminds me to slow down and be happy. But my ultra nerd thing-flushing toilets and disposable diapers, need I say more.

Dangela said...

I love baby belly laughs, playing in the mountains, quiet times with my husband (those are very rare now days!), having the house organized for even a few minutes, a few quiet minutes to study the scriptures, a full night's sleep (also rare these days), and of course, chocolate!