Even though I was a Political Science major, I have tried to keep my political views off of this blog. However, last night I saw a man on CNN critize (falsely I might add) what I, as a Latter-Day Saint believe. Throughout my studies at BYU, I learned that people have a wide variety of political views and opinions. I recognize that not everyone has to agree with me. In fact, I respect those who still voice their own opinions. I can easily see how many in California are upset at this time. I'm not saying they can't be upset. I even think it is their right to hold rallies and protests outside whatever building they chooose. I do, however, have to draw the line when opinion turns to false accusations. Why are people who voted no on Prop 8 only targeting the LDS church and criticizing it for expressing our beliefs (like they are doing)? I found the following information.
1. Mormons make up less than 2% of the population of California. There are approximately 800,000 LDS out of a total population of approximately 34 million.
2. Mormon voters were less than 5% of the yes vote.
3. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints donated no money to the Yes on 8 campaign. Individual members of the Church were encouraged to support the Yes on 8 efforts and, exercising their constitutional right to free speech, donated whatever they felt like donating. (The man on CNN stated that a letter was read from every Temple stating we were obligated to give our money)
4. The No on 8 campaign raised more money than the Yes on 8 campaign.
5. African Americans overwhelmingly supported Yes on 8. Exit polls show that 70% of Black voters chose Yes on 8. This was interesting because the majority of these voters voted for President-elect Obama. No on 8 supporters had assumed that Obama voters would vote No on 8.
6. The majority of Latino voters voted Yes on 8. Exit polls show that the majority of Latinos supported Yes on 8 and cited religious beliefs (assumed to be primarily Catholic).
7. The Yes on 8 coalition was a broad spectrum of religious organizations. Catholics, Evangelicals, Protestants, Orthodox Jews, Muslims - all supported Yes on 8. It is estimated that there are 10 million Catholics and 10 million Protestants in California. Mormons were a tiny fraction of the population represented by Yes on 8 coalition members.
8. Not all Mormons voted in favor of Proposition 8. Our faith accords that each person be allowed to choose for him or herself. Church leaders have asked members to treat other members with "civility, respect and love," despite their differing views.
9. The Church did not violate the principal of separation of church and state. This principle is derived from the First Amendment to the United States Constitution, which reads, "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof. " The phrase "separation of church and state", which does not appear in the Constitution itself, is generally traced to an 1802 letter by Thomas Jefferson, although it has since been quoted in several opinions handed down by the United States Supreme Court in recent years. The LDS Church is under no obligation to refrain from participating in the political process, to the extent permitted by law. U.S. election law is very clear that Churches may not endorse candidates, but may support issues. The Church as always been very careful on this matter and occasionally chooses to support causes that it feels to be of a moral nature.
10. Supporters of Proposition 8 did exactly what the Constitution provides for all citizens: they exercised their First Amendment rights to speak out on an issue that concerned them, make contributions to a cause that they support, and then vote in the regular electoral process. For the most part, this seems to have been done in an open, fair, and civil way. Opponents of 8 have accused supporters of being bigots, liars, and worse. The fact is, we simply did what Americans do - we spoke up, we campaigned, and we voted.
I want to conclude my rant by saying, we, as members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, are used to being singled out and persecuted. Bring it on!
11 comments:
I COMPLETELY AGREE!!! I jumped for joy when a few leaders of the Catholic church stood up for the church saying we have been unfairly picked out of the groundswell of people in California that are against gay marriage. If a chuch can't give direction on moral issues, WHAT IS IT FOR????
My mother-in-law worked with the Yes on 8 campaign and she said that they got HUGE support from the Catholic churches there.
There are lots of people that share our beliefs on this subject. And I'm glad that they got out and voted so that they could be heard
Erin, Thanks for your post. Interesting to see the amount of hate come from those who consider themselves targets of hate. That being said, I'm grateful people know that it was the Mormons who stood for this proposition. When the dust settles, they'll see we took a stand and defended the family, even when it wasn't popular or convenient. They'll remember it was us, and even though it doesn't feel really great right now, I think that one day it will. I'm with you. I say, bring it.
So true! Bring it on is right :)
One thing to say about what you ranted and raved about...."AMEN!"
Thank you for posting all these facts. We also want to add our names to the list of people standing with you saying "bring it on".
You don't know me, but I'm Elizabeth's younger sister. She told me to come read your blog. I am living in Salt Lake and got to witness first-hand the hate the Church is receiving. I was called a bigot, a liar, and a hater. People were making all kinds of accusations against the Church. One gay man claimed that his Stake President tried to send him to California to be excommunicated. I just stared at him and laughed to myself. The sad thing is, what did I do personally? Nothing. There was a group of us that walked the opposite direction of the protesters singing hymns; it got ugly a few times with things they yelled at us. But like you said, persecution is not a new thing for us.
I'll weigh in on this one. Ugh. I feel so weird about this topic. I don't think there are any easy answers. I completely agree that it is unfair to pin that decision solely on the LDS Church. From what I have heard down here, it all sounds pretty ugly.
On the other hand, we aren't the only ones who are used to being persecuted. I can't imagine the kind of persecution many of our gay brothers and sisters have experienced (particularly those who are Church members). I don't know. I don't know the answer, but it seems like the issue should be dealt with "civility, respect, and love" on *both* sides. Let's not stoop to shouting matches?
i'm so glad you commented on our blog! it is such a great way to keep in touch with old friends. you guys look great & your little boy is adorable! :)
Amen sister! I totally want to copy your whole post and post it on my own blog! Good research, that is awesome! Are you seriously up for being one of my 100 faces? Email me at rvanwagoner@marykay.com and let me know what day would be good for you! Thanks so much, and it will be fun to see you and meet your little guy!
This is a great post Erin... I've seen it floating around and it seems to be just what people need to hear that have been so rude to our church. I love your last line: "bring it on!" haha!
Post a Comment