Sunday, October 31, 2010

Few Tricks and Many Treats

There are some aspects of Halloween that I love. For example, I love seeing Tyler get all excited to wear his costume. He would correct people who called him Bob the Builder. He'd say, "No, I'm Handy Tyler!" I love being able to see Hannah's face light up when she gets a sucker. Who knew all it takes to make her happy is a Dum Dum? I love the feeling of friendliness as complete strangers come to your door and you compliment them on their costume because you know it will make them happy. I love people who go all out in their costumes to make the most of the holiday.

There are some aspects of Halloween I don't like. I know many people live for scary movies. I do not. I wish I could turn on the TV and find something uplifting to watch instead of some new way to watch someone get killed. Not my favorite. Also, Steve doesn't let me watch them because if I don't sleep, he doesn't sleep. I also do not like the 15 pounds of candy that I somehow have to get rid of. Just a few treats is all we need.

This year we went "trick-or-treating" three times. The first was at the Law School. Every year the school has a kid's parade and then they go trick or treating to the student's study carrels. By the end, Tyler couldn't hold his treat bag because it weighed so much!

Next we went to our ward's Trunk or Treat. Props to Steve for making the best chili there! I am usually somewhat opposed to Trunk or Treats. It usually is a mass of kids grabbing candy as fast as they can. This year was great. The cars were spread out, the kids said "trunk or treat", and visiting with friends was relaxing. Good times!

After we got home from the ward party, Steve took Tyler out to go around our neighborhood. He sure loved it. I remember loving it as a kid. I'd come home and sort out my candy to see what goods I got. This year Tyler got some cool things. Among his loot is a skeleton straw, pencil, hot chocolate, chips, spider ring, play dough and bat necklace. It was a nice break from the sugar. Happy Halloween!

8 comments:

Tory and Elizabeth said...

So I am right there with you when it comes to loving the excitement my littles one have in regards to Halloween. And I definitely do NOT like all the scarey movies. Hocus Pocus gave me nightmares for months. I stick with Charlie Brown and the Great Pumpkin and avoid anything else.

Dangela said...

Cute costumes. Sounds like a great Halloween.

Christina said...

Fun times!

Miss Kris said...

Good job on the Handy Tyler costume. He looks so cute. And I just LOVE Hannah's costume, especially the striped tights. I just want to eat those little legs!

Suzie said...

Great set of pictures! Glad you guys had a good Halloween. Super cute costumes on the kiddies...I especially love that we both had our girls as ladybugs. Wherever did you find Hannah's? ;)

Maybe next year we'll do Halloween together. And we can rent Predator or Saw or something like that to watch. Or we have What Lies Beneath and The Others. It'll be good times.

Mike and Lisa said...

Cute Kids. I love Tyler's "Handy Tyler" costume. Way fun. I agree with you on the whole trunk or treat thing. I miss the good old days when you actually went door-to-door for treats.

karijean said...

Halloween is fun! Your kids are so cute! Thanks again for letting me borrow your book. It was awesome! i will bring it back next week after Book club. Happy Holidays!

Amylee said...

I love Handy Tyler! Such a cute costume idea. Hannah is an adoreable lady bug as well. However, I love your hawaiian costume! You look great. I'm making plans to dress up next year- I hope I don't forget that I planned to do it :).