Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Staycation

What do you get when you have two kids plus a husband who is always gone at work or school and who was recently released from a bishopric? The answer is not enough couple time. I don't know if any of you have ever felt like your husband (who you love dearly) is sort of just like a roommate who leaves dishes and makes an occasional appearance. Thankfully, Steve had a week off of school last week and, due to a lack of funds, we decided to ship the kids off to family and have a two-day "staycation." First off, I need to say a big thank you to Suzie and Max and my mom for helping us out with the kids.

You might be asking yourself what sort of fun Provo has to offer. It was awesome! We decided that if we were going someplace fun, we'd document it with pictures. Our staycation wasn't going to be any different. Thursday evening we had a relaxing, child-free dinner and got a $1 movie.

The next morning we slept in and then went for a beautiful 4.5 mile run along the Provo river. How did we celebrate our run? With a sinfully delicious cupcake from The Sweet Tooth Fairy, which has the best cupcakes we have ever tasted.

That afternoon we watched another movie and went out to one of our favorite restaurants for dinner. Bombay House in Provo has the best Indian food hands down! In case you are wondering, we did finish everything on the table.

So what do you do in Provo on a Friday night with no kids? You go play at the Apple store, just because you can. We were like kids in a candy store. We were laughing so hard at ourselves playing around with their computers and such. We were even able to visit the Eiffel Tower. What else do you do in Provo with no kids? You go laser tagging with some friends until midnight! We were sweating like crazy, but had the best time! Steve is pretty good, so I was glad he was on my team.


On Saturday morning, we slept in. That was the longest I've stayed in bed in years, so it was worthy of a picture. We decided to eat a yummy brunch at Ruth's Diner in Salt Lake. Their biscuits are the best! As we ate in peace, we both realized how wonderful it is to eat a meal without interruptions, coaxing or putting someone in timeout.

This staycation reminded me how much I love spending time with my honey. It doesn't need to be an amazing destination or spending a lot of money, just being together is enough. Even though it doesn't happen as much as it should, any one on one time I can get with Steve is great. I love you babe!

14 comments:

Tory and Elizabeth said...

Can I say, I am soooooo jealous! We are done with the school thing, and Tory is only a Primary Teacher now, but with two little munchkins and two on the way, I feel like the only time we actually get to see each other is the half hour after getting the kiddos in bed while we are getting ready for bed. Goodness! Staycation, now that is a great idea!

syd b. said...

I love this so much! What a great idea! I'm jealous, I don't even have kids and I want a staycation!

Jared & Tristan said...

That is so fun! I wish I had family close by so Jared and I could do that! Everything sounds like so much fun (I"m especially jealous of the sleeping in).
Glad you got to have fun with your hubby. With how busy all of you are you deserve to have a staycation together!

Jared & Tristan said...

by the way...
You are Smoking Hot! :)

Steve P. said...

I agree with the Smoking Hot comment... assuming it was directed at Erin. Babe- It was tons of fun spending time with you! We should make it a goal to get rid of the kids (love them as I do) more often. You are a wonderful wife!

Trent and Whit said...

Sounds like a wonderful weekend! That 9:54 time on the clock makes me jealous.

Merri Hackett said...

Oh that all looks like so much fun! And Erin you are skinny skinny skinny! Looking so good! And great job on the 4.5 miles!!!

Mike and Lisa said...

I am so jealous...I need a staycation! I can't even imagine how nice it would be to sleep in and have dinner without interuptions!! Looks like you guys had a great weekend!

Cassy said...

im really jealous. you looked like you were dating again and still in college. anyway, hope you are doing as well as it sounds. it was weird without pictures of the kiddos....but nice.

Amylee said...

Perfect idea! I think we might we might have to have a little staycation ourselves. Take that stupid transmission!!!!!!

Kiersten said...

Wow. That sounds like a dream!! You hit two of my favorite restaurants!

Charlotte said...

So, I found your blog, and I'm going to start reading. I love blogs.

This sounds wonderful! I'm not a super big recreator (which isn't really a word . . .) so this sounds like the perfect weekend!

kalie said...

I love it, love it! You look amazing and it sounds like a wonderful wknd.

Greg and Abbey said...

that sounded soooo fun! loved the picture journaling. so fun. sounds like a great time for y'all and for your marriage.