Thursday, April 24, 2008

Good Citizen

Yesterday two out of the ordinary things happened to me. Both of them put my values to the test. First, I went to get the mail yesterday and on top of the community mailbox was a large stack of mail. I looked and saw that it was my entire streets mail, including our own. I took our mail then put the stack under the mailbox. Now I had to decide whether or not to do anything about it. I went through the U.S. Postal Service's automated process of tracking down which post office delivers to our street. After several minutes, I was connected to the right place and told them what happened. I was feeling quite proud of myself. After all, if my mail was just sitting out there, I would want a concerned citizen to take the necessary steps to let the post office know.

Once I finished on the phone with the post office, I looked out into our side yard and saw a super nice mountain bike sitting against our fence. Hmmmmm. Once Steve woke up, and confirmed that he didn't know what it was doing there I called the police. A few hours later and nice police officer came, took my information, and then relieved us of the bike. Super weird that a bike would just show up. Again, I thought that it had to be someone's bike and they would probably want it back.

I felt like I was on hidden camera or something to see what I would do in a given situation. Like I said, two super random things that helped me realize that it really isn't that hard to do the right thing.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't it weird when we're faced with such situations. I remember being at the Hale Centre when I was rehearsing and there was a 20 dollar bill just lying on the floor, and I could have easily just said...finders keepers, but I know better than that and gave the money to the stage manager. The SM asked who it belonged to and no one claimed it, and so the SM said I could have it since no one claimed it but I said I wouldn't feel right about taking someone's lost money so I told him to give it to the theatre for donations. I felt good that I did something about it. That's cool that you did what you did...sadly, there are lots of people who wouldn't think twice about the situations you talked about...but you did!! :) Anyway, happy birthday week! Talk to you soon!!

Kandyce

Shelley said...

You are so cute. I would never doubt you for a second. You are probably one of the most christlike people I know! ;) Good for you though! You get a gold star for the day! :)

kalie said...

Imagine me singing in a happy-tune voice: SMILE! You're on Candid Camera! (Dah-Dum!)

How weird--yesterday at the grocery store I was doing the self-checkout and I accidentally almost walked out without paying for something! I'm glad I realized it so I didn't look like a thief!

Kirk and Janelle Tingey said...

Erin! This is Janelle (Stevens). How funny that I found you! What a cute little boy you have! You look like such a cute mom. Good to see what you are up to!