Sunday, January 31, 2010

Great Expectations

This Sunday morning started out like any other. Tyler and I watched Music and the Spoken Word or "the choir show" as Tyler calls it. I got all of us dressed and ready to go to church early. Hannah was even wearing her cutest dress that Kristin made for her.


Since the morning had gone relatively smooth, I was expecting church to be nice and relaxing. Wrong. Tyler was, well, let's just say "energetic" and yet really tired. Sacrament meeting was a challenge. I was sweating after wrangling Tyler by myself since Steve is on the stand with the bishopric.

We got home from church, and I set to making a delicious dinner. I was given a scrumptious recipe for homemade meatballs from my sister. Swedish meatballs and roasted red potatoes! A true IKEA meal.

I had everything ready to go and was organized. After forming 28 perfectly shaped meatballs and cooking them, disaster struck.

I had turned on the burner for the pasta water to boil and was transferring the cooked meatballs onto a paper towel-lined plate. Then, the plate exploded. Yes exploded. I let out a scream, then the paper towels caught on fire. Now you might think that I handled the situation with poise, but you'd be wrong. I sat there yelling "Steve what do I do?" while blowing on the fire. Steve casually turns off the burner and grabs a lid to cover the flames. Within about ten seconds the fire was out. Come to find out I turned on the wrong burner. I turned on the burner that the paper towel-lined plate was on. Smart.

In those ten short seconds the damage was done. I lost 7 precious meatballs, made all the smoke detectors in the house go off, made Hannah (who had a poopy diaper) cry and be scared beyond consolation, and lost a new plate (the set of which was given to me for Christmas).

In the end, I guess my expectations for today were met. We had a truly tasty meatball dinner and a fun Sunday evening with my Mom (who was kind enough to walk right in and change Hannah's diaper while I was cleaning up exploded plates and meatballs). And just for the record, for FHE tomorrow Steve says we will be doing fire drills and what to do in case of emergencies. I guess I could use a little practice.

11 comments:

Jared & Tristan said...

glad everyone is safe! :)
I love the pictures of your cuties! They are absolutely adorable!

Christina said...

I'm laughing, but more out of sympathy than anything else. I once did the same thing, but instead of the plate exploding, I melted a plastic cutting board. Burned plastic is not a good smell.

Ken Roberts said...

Nancy - not Ken, man I wish he would stay of my computer! :)

Erin, I feel for you. I have had a few of those "Restful Sundays" myself. In fact reading your post brought back major anxiety of sitting in church with 6 children by myself trying helplessly to keep my 2 year old from running up to the stand. AAWWWW! Those were some crazy days.
Sorry about your meatballs and your new plate, that stinks. Hope today is a better day!

Merri Hackett said...

ha ha ha fire drills for fhe! :) sorry about the plate and meatballs, but so glad was so calm under the firey pressure :)

Rachelle said...

WOW! I would have freaked out! How scary! And okay, I cant believe that your husband is in the Bishopric! What is he, like 27? HAHA

Anne said...

Sorry, but that story just makes me laugh! I always hope I can have a clear head and calm demeanor under stress...but it rarely turns out that way. Glad Steve was home to save the day. (And adorable pictures of the kids, by the way!)

Tory and Elizabeth said...

Okay, I thought I was the only person in the world to ever make something explode on a burner. I did the same thing a while back with a pyrex dish that I was making a casserole in and put on a burner that I had turned on by accident. At least you called Steve's name. I just stood there in the kitchen screaming at the top of my lungs holding the fragment of the pyrex dish that had exploded in my hands. Oh, and Tory did the same thing where soon after had a lesson on emergency preparedness. I am glad though that the rest of your day was wonderful.

Young Family said...

So sorry!

Hayden has the same sweater. I love it.

Melinda May said...

Can I just tell you that I LOVED this post not only because you have the cutest kids and we get to see them at their finest but I have done that before. The burner, the plate, even the freak out and then had the hubby come to my rescue being all calm. You are NOT alone! I love it!

Amylee said...

Awesome! I am queen of turning on the wrong burner so I'm super glad someone else does it, too. (In fact, I nearly exploded my decorative tea pot and I have a burn on my counter top to prove it!) I'm just glad one of the plate shards didn't end up in your eye. That would have been a sad day.

Dangela said...

Don't you love those days? That has been my weekend this weekend. At one point, I was so frustrated, that I went to bed and covered up my head for a half hour. I'm glad everything turned out in the end.

Your kids are adorable and getting cuter every day! I love their coordinating outfits!